19. Carbon Monoxide
Helen stepped outside her front door to see
the weather was like. It was sunny and
. That was nice, because for the past two
it had been cold and rainy. It had
so cold that she had had to turn
heater on. She was lucky, because her heater
and she could pay her heating bills.
in Los Angeles were not so lucky. Unable
use their home heater, they placed charcoal into
barbecue grill and lit it. The heat kept
warm, but the carbon monoxide killed them.
almost every winter in Los Angeles. People shut
the windows tight to keep the cold out,
light the charcoal. Soon enough, the oxygen in
home is consumed by the open flames. The
suffocates to death.
Everyone knows that smoke detectors
required in Los Angeles. But many people don't
about, or don't think they need, carbon monoxide
. They're not expensive. A $25 investment can save
family from death.
People always think that nothing
will happen to them; it always happens to "
other guy." So they forget to put fresh
into their smoke detectors annually, and they don't
to buy carbon monoxide detectors.